Founded in 1945, the AIA Queens Chapter currently has 198 members located throughout the borough of Queens. The chapter was originally the Queens Society of Architects established in the 1930’s which then became a member of the American Institute of Architects on October 30, 1945. The American Institute of Architects (AIA), founded in 1857 in New York, is a nationwide, 81,000 member based organization.
The AIA National headquarters are now located in Washington, DC. The AIA Queens Chapter is also part of the region covered by AIA New York State, located in Albany, which has a statewide membership of 6,000 members in 13 chapters and speaks for the interests of all registered architects in New York State. The city of New York has five local chapters, or components, representing each borough of the city. The AIA Queens chapter proudly celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 1995 with a Proclamation from the NYC Council, a Declaration of Honor from the Queens Borough President’s Office and a Certificate of Congratulations from AIA NYS. AIA Queens continues to actively address local issues of importance to architecture in the great borough of Queens.